SIXTEENTH VAN CLIBURN INTERNATIONAL PIANO COMPETITION
June 2–18, 2022
Van Cliburn Concert Hall at TCU • Bass Performance Hall • Fort Worth, Texas USA
Marin Alsop, jury chairman
The best pianists in the world.
The ideal performance environment.
Unrivaled international exposure.
The launch of careers.
What more meaningful way to emerge from the global pandemic than to elevate art and the exceptional people who devote their lives to it? We will celebrate how music and the connection that it fosters between us are universally vital to the human experience. We call the top young pianists of the world to submit their applications, and we invite our friends to make plans now to join us in Fort Worth to experience this distinctive event firsthand. There’s nothing like it.
– Cliburn President and CEO Jacques Marquis
Widely considered one of the preeminent international music contests, the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition exists to share excellent classical music with the largest international audience possible and to launch the careers of its winners every four years. Building on a rich tradition that began with its 1962 origins in honor of Van Cliburn and his vision for using music to serve audiences and break down boundaries, the Cliburn seeks, with each edition, to achieve the highest artistic standards while utilizing contemporary tools to advance its reach. The world’s top 18- to 30-year-old pianists compete for gold in front of a live audience in Fort Worth, Texas, as well as a global online viewership of over 10 million. Beyond cash prizes, winning a Cliburn medal means comprehensive career management, artistic support, and bolstered publicity efforts for the three years following.
The sixteenth edition of the Cliburn Competition will take place June 2–18, 2022 in Fort Worth, Texas at Van Cliburn Concert Hall at TCU (Preliminary and Quarterfinal Rounds) and Bass Performance Hall (Semifinal and Final Rounds).
SCREENING PROCESS & SCHEDULE
- Applications were due October 14, 2021, and included performance videos, musician references, press reviews, concert history, and personal statements.
- Now through January: a pre-screening jury reviews all applications and selects approximately 135 pianists to move on. From those, the members of the Screening Auditions Jury (listed below) select 72 pianists they would like to hear perform during the live Screening Auditions. (Schedule to be announced January 27, 2022.)
- March 6–12, 2022: Screening Auditions
- 72 pianists perform 25-minute recitals
- PepsiCo Recital Hall at TCU in Fort Worth, Texas USA
- Five-member Screening Auditions Jury: Angela Cheng(Canada), Arnaldo Cohen (Brazil), Christopher Elton (United Kingdom), Alexander Kobrin (Russia/United States), and Anton Nel (South Africa/United States).
- Pianist travel and lodging are arranged for and covered by the Cliburn.
- Screening Auditions are open to the public and are free to attend.
- March 30, 2022: Announcement of 30 competitors selected to compete in the Competition
- May 29, 2022: Competitors return to Fort Worth
- June 2–6, 2022: Preliminary (30 competitors) & Quarterfinal (18 competitors) Rounds at the new Van Cliburn Concert Hall at TCU
- June 8–18, 2022: Semifinal (12 competitors) & Final (6 competitors) Rounds at Bass Performance Hall
- June 18, 2022: Awards Ceremony, announcement of gold, silver, bronze medalists + special awards; cash prizes total $265,000; medalists also win career management packages worth a total of over $1 million.
There is nothing like hearing, seeing, and feeling live music in an energetic, packed concert hall. Add to that the unmatched exhilaration of being there to cheer on 30 of the world’s top emerging pianists as they strive to perform their best on an enormous world stage, in hopes of launching international careers. It’s been 60 years since the first notes of the Cliburn Competition were played in Fort Worth, Texas. And the world will yet again be attentively listening. We hope you’ll join us.
ALL INDIVIDUAL TICKETS & SUBSCRIPTIONS ARE ON SALE NOW.
ABOUT THE APPLICANTS
Applications are in! Applications for the 2022 Van Cliburn International Piano Competition closed on October 14, 2021 and the pool represents the largest and most diverse in the organization’s 60-year history. Learn more about this year’s applicants and what comes next below.